Saturday, June 6, 2015

Mondays With Mary #2 (1971)

Several devoted readers have expressed interest in Mary's calendars. At first, I thought I would just start with the year 1966 and move forward, but being the globally organized (all over the place) person that I am this seems too confining to me. So, it looks like helter skelter wins.

Last Monday, on June 1,  I wished Mary's favorite (and only) grandson a happy birthday. Later that day I wondered what she had written on June 1, 1971.  Was she over the moon with excitement? You can decide.

Tuesday, June 1, 1971

Cool all day & windy
Vaccinated cows-wired bull in
Catch pen.   I got my hair set in p.m.
Scott born at 8:12

Even though there doesn't seems to be fireworks going off or shouts from the mountaintops, I can feel the excitement in the entry for

Wednesday, June 9, 1971

Tom and Kelley left about 8 a.m
Margie & Scott got to go home from hospital.
Vern plowed 2 pieces of corn. I painted
back porch. hoed garden - picked strawberries
Went to W City to see Scott & family home about 10:30 p.m.

It wasn't until in the afternoon that we were told that we would be able to take the baby home. We thought that only I was going home and the baby would have to stay in the hospital. At the last minute, his tests were acceptable and he was released also.  So, after a full day of work as noted on the calendar, Grandpa and Grandma jumped in the car, drove 60+ miles to meet their new grandson.

I am discovering that it is important to read between the lines and really know the author as well as I do.

What else happened in 1971? It looks like August must have been fence building on the farm.

Monday, August 2, 1971

I went to Perry for Dave-Vern put
on post pounder-drove 2 pumps
feet in 20 rds fence on 80 in p.m.
awfully dry & hard to pound posts
(80 means 80 acres)
(not sure what the drove 2 pumps feet means)

Tuesday, August 3,1971

Vern and Dave working on fence
I canned peaches-cleaned 4 chickens
started pickles-took pigs to L. City
for Bert & Neva-stayed for supper &
sale. Still dry-

Wednesday, August 4, 1971

cloudy & cool- but still no rain
Vern & Dave worked on fence
all day- I kept Janie in p.m. Margie
 & kids came about 5 p.m.  Carl & Thelma
up in evening- hunting frogs

Thursday, August 5, 1971

Still dry- Vern & Dave still on fence - I got my hair set
in morning- 5 1/2 hours to set 2 corner
posts - Bert and Neva went to Ill today

Friday, August 6, 1971

R cow- calf- I took Dave to Perry in
morning - Margie to town in p.m.   
We went to Lynn's shower in evening- Vern kept Kelley


Well, I guess the first week of August in 1971 was dry. My dad and his 13 year old nephew, Dave,  worked hard on that fence. I thought the reading was getting boring until I came to the frog hunting. Did anything interesting pop out for you?






No comments:

Post a Comment