Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Mondays With Mary January 1990

In last week's Mondays With Mary, the report on January 1985's weather is quite different than today's calendar entry on January 1990.  As my Uncle Bill always said, "If you don't like the weather in Iowa, stay around for 10 minutes because it will change." I know other people, actually lots of people, say the same thing but it is Uncle Bill's variation that sticks with me. He also said, "Company is like fish. After staying around for three days, they begin to stink." I don't agree because I love company, but I do admit that sometimes it can be true.

Monday, January 15, 1990

23 degrees @  8 a.m. warmed up to 65 degrees today.
I went to quilt & to Joyce Terrills for coffee
afterwards - Vern cut wood in garden
John Eich here to talk about buying gravel pit
talked to Tom & Margie to-nite.

Tuesday, January 16, 1990

43 @ 8 a.m. foggy - Short here in a.m.
Duane out to feed cows.  sent Tom the tax papers.  I went to Jeff for a piece of blue fabric
finished putting blocks of wood in cow yard from
mulberry tree.  went for nice walk in p.m. - quilted awhile.



As I look at the weather forecast for January 16, 2016, I don't see balmy 43 degrees and certainly not a warm up to 65 degrees as happened on January 15, 1990.  Instead, the forecast indicates Saturday, January 16's low at -13 degrees.  Sunday, January 17, is worse. The high is predicted to be -5 degrees with low at -17. These below zero temperatures feel worse with even a little breeze. I also see some snow in the forecast for next week.

Back to the calendar

Saturday, January 20, 1990

30 degrees @ 5:30 a.m. started snowing about
6 a.m. snowed off & on most of day - got about 4 inches.
I went to Webster City with Eva W. - L. Hupp - D. Tolsdorf - M. Hilts to Quilt meeting - home at 5:05 p.m.  good time 
 - roads icy & snow packed  worried about Scott   he called  12:30
a.m.  - is in Ames

Sunday, January 21, 1990

10 degrees @ 8 a.m.  sun shining
warmed up to 30ties. Scott here @ 12:30 p.m. ate lunch
Short down in p.m.  played cards  -
Scott left about 6 p.m.  back to Ames


Actually, I now remember that Scott had a harrowing road trip in the ice and snow with his grandpa's van. It could be a story for another time or maybe not.






No comments:

Post a Comment