Monday, March 21, 2016

Mondays With Mary about the Wrights

As I perused the 1994 calendar journal of my mom's, I realize this was the year that my dad's other brother passed away. There were only three of those Wright brothers. The other five children were girls. Just recently I shared the information that my Uncle Gene, seventh child of Albert and Nina Wright had passed away January 25, 2016.  On February 23, 1994, their fourth child, Al, died of cancer. Uncle Al was the first of their eight children to die. The past few entries on Cousins has been about the Wrights. This seems to fit my current goal of writing about my paternal family.

Wednesday, February 23, 1994

18 degrees @ 5:20 a.m. 6 to 8 inches of new snow.
Jon out & cleaned out the yard when he fed cows.
Vern & Jon went to Jeff to sign for disaster payment
cut out & pieced a 14 in. block for Louise Hupp.
Ina & Norma called to tell us Al W. died of cancer.

Looking back two weeks to...

Wednesday, February 9, 1994
 
11 below at 6 a.m. down to 13 below & below 0 all day
water line to stool froze - got it thawed out- another cow froze & died.  Read & sewed off & on all day.  talked to Al & Norma
to-nite. still haven't found out what his problem is.

A few days before this must have been the first my parents knew something was wrong.

Sunday, February 6, 1994

22 degrees @ 7:15 a.m. getting
colder all day. sun shining
Ina called to tell us about Al Wright

Looking ahead in the calendar, I see that Mary and Vern ( my mom and dad) took the train to Idaho to help with Uncle Al's farm sale.  Watch for these details in an upcoming Mondays With Mary feature.

Also, I have changed the Featured Post at the top of the right hand column. Did you notice? I chose the story about Grandma Nina Wright's own words. Remember, she was the mother of Vern, Al, and Gene Wright along with their five sisters.



No comments:

Post a Comment