Friday, June 5, 2015

Another limb?

I have been asked if I am going to write about other branches of the family besides my mother's, mother's, mother's, mother's, mother's side, I find it hard to believe I am still out on that maternal limb so far and not anywhere near finding an end to it. There are the collateral Vorhies that I now have boxes worth of pictures, papers, and treasures to sort and report. I haven't even finished with my mom's parents or siblings. Then, there are the Grissos. They will go on forever. There is so much research already completed. However, I would like to study and understand the few pictures I have of grandpa Bert Grisso's siblings. Of course, one cousin is curious about the Grisso Mansion in Oklahoma, (Yes, we are related) and I have a great article about a Grisso Cemetery in Arkansas. What about the Wrights, Bordens and DeHarts on my dad's side? Then, my big worry is that if I veer off into other branches and limbs, I might lose a few devoted cousin readers. Well, what I need  to focus on is that all the family limbs and branches I write about are all ancestors of my grandchildren. I hope cousins on all sides will stick with me.

How many times do you hear people say that their most valuable resource for family information is gone. They lament the loss of this valuable asset. Keeping this in mind, I am going to turn to a branch of my husband's family next.  My husband's mother is 97 years old and has a sharp memory. I think the time has come to climb into this family tree.

As I read various blogs, I scan the surname list hoping to see if I can make a connection. Recently, I came across the name Reeder. Reeder was my husband's maternal grandmother's maiden name. Ina Marie Reeder Augustus (1893-1978) was the daughter of Edward  Maurice (1858-1949) and Minerva Jane Marsh Reeder (1860-1953) Ina was one of four children. I asked my mother-in-law about the Reeder's ancestry. I wondered if she have any information on them. She said no but that there had been a family story which told that someone in that family had held the hat of Herbert Hoover when he was inaugurated president. How happy I am that this story surfaced. 

With a little more research, I discovered that the parents of Edward Reeder, John Morris and Elizabeth Reeder, are buried in the same cemetery lot as Edward and Minerva Reeder (block 3 lot 32) in the Jefferson, Iowa cemetery. I have also found that when I tell her about some of my research discoveries, she confirms my findings and expands. What a treasure she is.
      So, I think I will try to find more information on the Reeder family.  Here is a picture of Edward and Minerva Reeder, my husband's great grandparents.






No comments:

Post a Comment