Monday, August 17, 2015

Mondays With Mary #12 Quilts

My mother, Mary, was a quilter. In earlier days, she was a sewer. So that you aren't confused, she worked with thread and material not waste products.  She made many of my clothes through school and even when I was a young teacher. She made my prom dress and my wedding dress.  In her later years, she quilted and quilted and quilted. She gave lessons, made custom products for family and friends, subscribed to all things quilty, lived and breathed quilts. I have dozens of quilts that she left behind, about a zillion wall hangings, and enough material to open my own fabric shop.

I thought about this because I was reading some calendars. I had decided I wanted to look at some new ones so I just reached in the middle of the stack and pulled out 1992. It seemed to be a cold winter with lots of reading and quilting.

January 6, 1992
     34* @ 5:45 a.m. Vern went to hunt. I
     went to quilt- and to Truie Terrill's services
     in a.m.  home at 4:30. Boys didn't
     get any deer - roads are softening up terrible
     to drive on

January 7, 1992
     36@ 7 a.m. foggy- blah- turned to          
     drizzle in p.m. Went to town in a.m. to
      grain  storage- electric repair to MacDonalds
      home at 10:30 a.m. Read and sewed on quilt
      in p.m. Vern slept & cold still bad.     Written in the margin-           Roads getting worse.







These quilts hang over my upstairs bannister where they are easy to photograph. As I said, there are many, many completed quilts. An inventory is in order. Someday. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment