Friday, August 5, 2016

...that time of year...

     Yes, it is that time of year. In only a few weeks everyone will be back in school. Kids are shopping for clothes that fit better after their summer growth spurts. Supplies are being gathered. It is that time of year when I remember I only got a new 64 pack of crayons every other year. Times change.
     Teachers are preparing their classrooms, lessons and new incentive strategies to help their charges learn better.  It is a new beginning for everyone.

     Although everyone is certainly not accurate. I, for one, have not been back full time for many years. How can time pass so fast? Shouldn't the beginning of the school year be long gone out of my mind? No, I still have beginning of the school year anxiety dreams.

     Maybe it is because I still have papers.  It is interesting to me what turns up when sorting papers.  Yes, I still have school papers. Why? Some are lists of names which I don't want to forget. Others are notes or letters which give me joy. I have finally let go of some of the worksheets of which I realize my grandchildren have no interest. Occasionally I come across some joke or bit of wisdom which needs to be shared. This is today's post.

     You might be in education if...

           1.  You know that most educational experts never taught in a public school, and if they did, they got out because they couldn't stand it.
          2. Your personal life comes to a screeching halt a report card time.
          3.  You think caffeine should be available in IV form.
          4.  You can't have children because there is no name you could give a child that wouldn't bring on high pressure the moment you heard it uttered.
          5. You laugh uncontrollably when people refer to the faculty room as a lounge.
          6.  When out in public you feel the urge to snap your fingers at a child you do not know and correct his behavior.
          7. You have no time for a life from August to June.
          8.  You can tell if there is a full moon without ever looking outside.
          9. You believe that chocolate is a food group.
        10. You want to slap the next person who says " must be nice to work 7:30-3:00 and have summers free."
        11.  You've had your profession slammed by someone who would never DREAM of taking your job.
        12.  You believe "shallow gene pool" should be included in the report card comments.
        13. Giving everyone an " A" would make your life so much easier.
        14.  You believe that some unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, "Boy the kids are sure mellow today.

     Now, I ask you, "How could I throw away humor like this?"

     Best wishes for a great and productive school year for kids, teachers, staff, and parents.  And for all the retired teachers, have another cup of coffee and enjoy the memories.

1 comment:

  1. I can never seem to get my comments posted after typing a long story

    ReplyDelete