Tuesday, May 26, 2015

C. Dale Smith

Remember him. I wrote about him in Clifford "Dale" Smith (1914-1984) the post of 5/8/15. It turns out I have a little more information on him that might be interesting to some of his relatives. (me)

I might have mentioned that a few years ago I was involved in the collaborative process of producing The Heritage of Greene County Iowa 2011 . There was a military section to which I made several contributions. I wrote entries for John Grisso, William Grisso, Marvin Grisso, made mention of Bert and Donald Grisso, Tom Tolsdorf, Howard Ray, George Ray, Dale Ray, Jess Ray, Calvin Ray and Clifford " Dale" Smith.  For some of these entries I used a book I found in the Scranton Public Library, Service Record-World War II Scranton and Community.

With Memorial Day just passing, this seems an appropriate time to add this information.

About Dale it said, "He was engaged in five major battles and six minors battles during the war.  He served in the European Theatre and was awarded the European Theatre Ribbon and the Victory Medal.  He was wounded in the right leg in 1943.  His SC 651 was sunk on the Invasion of Marseilles in 1944 and the SC 498 was sunk off Crete in 1944."

This article also says he was buried at sea, which I do not believe is true. So many family mysteries, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment