Saturday, May 2, 2015

Tom Sawyer

People love to find out they are related to famous peopleSo, what is my claim to fame?

I married Tom Sawyer.

Well, maybe I better make a few clarifications.  Remember, I have written about the Scranton Journal (my hometown newspaper) and the A Glance Into the Past section.  Here is the article of 60 Years ago, April 1955.

     "A capacity crowed [sic] was treated to a fine performance of the operetta Tom Sawyer Monday evening at the regular PTA meeting in the school auditorium.  The operetta, under the direction of Mrs. Garreth McDonald, was performed by members of the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades.  Miss Beatrice Gordon, Miss Delores Beck, and Mrs. LaVern Felding served as stage managers.
     The cast of characters included: Tom Sawyer, Tommy Tolsdorf; Huckleberry Finn, Larry Miller; Joe Harper, Joe Smith; Ben Rogers, Bobby Dillavou; Sidney, Martin Peterson; Pudd'n head Wilson, Billy Smits; Steamboat Sam, Darwin Wright; Jim, Billy Eason; Aunt Polly, Carol Hanna; Mary, Pam Pound; Mrs. Sereny Harper, Jane Paup; Suzy Harper, Arlene Monthei; Becky Thatcher, Pam Reinhart; Widow Douglas, Karol Hoover; Miss Watson, Becky Mosier; Mrs. Sally Phelps, Nicki Eason, Ella Mae Phelps, Pam Buckner."

My husband, Tom, (not the fictional character) remembers having to learn 26 songs for the operetta. The only way to recall such events of long ago is with one's own memory.  How wonderful it would be if there had been cell phones with video capability like we have today. I love seeing the antics of my grandchildren on today's videos, but what I wouldn't give to be able to see my own special Tom Sawyer from back then. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment