Sunday, May 8, 2016

May 8

Recently, I was reading from Dr. Bill's diary posts taken from his mothers journal mentioning VE Day on May 8, 1945. Juxtapose this with a photo sorting session, and I have the formula for today's post.

I was only a few months old in 1945 so my memory of that day is a bit fuzzy. However, my memory 40 years later, May 8, 1985 is clear as a bell. (You do know when writing, you should avoid cliches like the plague...but I digress.)

In 1985 I was on my first of several student exchanges in France. My host, Noelle, and I went to the Champs Elysee for the celebration of the 40th anniversary of Victory in Europe. What a fabulous experience to see the Champs Elysee without traffic, a gendarme (policemen) standing at attention every few yards, and tri colored flags flying everywhere.

This is the photo I came across in that sorting session. It isn't a fantastic photo, but should give a little of the feel of that day.

And now it is 31 years later. Life has been good to me!

Paris
May 8, 1985
40th Anniversary of Victory in Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment